Saturday, November 10, 2012

Wheeled Home

I want a house with wheels 
not a trailer. 
I don't care for trailers.
I lived in one once.

It made me feel untethered  
as if  I was in a silver boat
that was landlocked yet somehow drifting  
I was lost but I didn't want to know it.

I want my house to be the house
I live in now but with really 
amazing wheels,  and also a rudder
so it could  go in rivers, oceans even.

I fell in love with my home slowly
it was like an arranged marriage. 
I loved my old neighborhood 
and my old neighbors.

I  didn't want to move but one day 
the love of my house 
and my yard knocked me down.
We have a passionate affair now.

I want it to go with me everywhere.
So my house will sprout wheels 
and a rudder and sails but not wings. 
well, maybe wings, too, why not.

The  house will go 
wherever I want
Italy, Lake Como, perhaps,
and the African plains,

the moors of england
to be with the wild ponies again
the streets of Paris,
and to shanghai for dinner.  

I will be far away and home too
and the cats 
will look out the windows
puzzled but content. 

No comments:

Post a Comment